» The Vision and Mission
The Vision and Mission
The James Michel Foundation is guided by a commitment to promote the Blue Economy concept, both in its national and international aspects, to sensitise people about climate change and its impacts on Seychelles and the world, to promote environmental protection and sustainable development and defend and promote the cause of small island developing states.
The Foundation aims to:
- encourage and sensitise the people of Seychelles to partake in the promotion of the Blue Economy concept, both in its national and international aspects, especially through the use of a pro-active “blue diplomacy” as a means to further entrench the said concept in respect of the world development agenda;
- maintain and safeguard the environment for the present and future generations and to make the protection of our environment and the sustainable development concept a central tenet of all its activities and operations;
- actively promote awareness of climate change and its concomitant effects (sea-level rise, erosion, loss of biodiversity) with a view to sensitising the people from all cross-sections of the society of the threat they pose to Seychelles and the world, and the necessity of taking remedial action to reverse it;
- maintain Seychelles leadership role in all matters pertaining to the environment;
- promote research and development in the field of the Blue Economy;
- provide scholarships and training programmes for the young people of Seychelles with a proven aptitude for the Blue Economy;
- promote maritime security and food security from sustainable marine resources;
- promote energy efficiency and renewable energy; and
- provide seed-financing to young innovative entrepreneurs in sectors relating to the Blue Economy, through its “incubator programme”.